Sunday, August 21, 2022

A Peek Into Last Week (August 13-19)~

beginning attempts at watercolor 
Another week has flown by! Even though we lead a quiet, slow life, when you love what you do, the days still zoom by in a blur. This past week was a low energy week for me. I'm guessing it was the heat that got to me but I did what my energy level allowed, and made peace with the rest. 

What I'm cooking, baking and eating~ homemade refried beans that were used for burritos and nachos for several meals, Mexican rice (can you tell we love Mexican food?), chicken salad, pineapple cake, white bread, corn dog casserole (I used this recipe for the filling and this recipe for the cornbread topping as I didn't have a cornbread mix on hand).

This week was a very noshy, snacky kind of week, as I wasn't up for much cooking or heating up the kitchen and house. Thankfully, hubby and I are both more than fine with that.

I'm focusing on using foodstuffs that we have put by in the freezer for snacks and meals before buying more that would need to be frozen. I have begun to fear an avalanche when I open the freezer door. That is not bragging. It is more a matter of disorganization, and things being put in there quickly and haphazardly when putting groceries away after coming home from the store.  I would love to spend time organizing the space but the upright is in our garage which is a very hot space right now and I don't wish to bake myself to death. That project can wait for cooler days ahead.

What I'm watching/reading~

Hummingbirds on Prime Video was so fun and informative to watch (I did not know bees were red/green color blind!). The little creatures lead a fascinating life that I was totally unaware of before this video.

I've been enjoying a variety of watercolor tutorial videos on YouTube.

Homekeeping~

This week's homekeeping focus is the kitchen (yes again-theres a lot to be done in my kitchen and I like to give myself some wiggle room in case I need more time to tackle projects), dining room, and breakfast nook. 

I edited the contents of, and wiped down one section in, the buffet in the dining room. 

I had a charity shop donation pickup. It feels great to get those boxes out of the house but I have already started another one. Decluttering is never ending!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."

~Thomas Moore 

Garden ~

I'm still harvesting sweet potato leaves! 

I am experimenting with smothering a tree that we had cut down but is determined to live and grow again. I don't like to use harmful chemicals if I can avoid them, so I cut it back as much as possible and covered what remains with a tarp held down by bricks. We shall see...

Create~

first strokes

I prepped more pages in my traveler's notebooks. I love to use up bits and pieces of all sorts of things-that might normally end up in the trash-to decorate my pages. I was able to disassemble the packaging that my Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds order arrived in to decorate several pages. I also continued playing with watercolors which I am enjoying very much. Considering I am using brushes I have on hand and Crayola Washable Watercolors (that I bought to see if I would stick with the new hobby before investing in proper tools and paints), I am pretty pleased with my beginner attempts. I will be researching and adding painting goodies to my Amazon wish list and will purchase what I can, when I can, because I am hooked!

Highlight of the week~

So. Many. Days. Of. Rain!

And cozy, rainy day morning Dollface snuggles. 


How was your week? I hope this upcoming one is wonderful for all of us! 

Thanks for stopping by! ~TJ 


No comments: