Sunday, September 11, 2022

A Peek Into Last Week (September 3-9)~

endeavor:

authentic•oldfashionedvalues•lowtech•slowliving

~livingsimply~

This past week I wasn't very productive imo, due to a case of the blues. But that's okay. We all find ourselves in that position at times. I did manage the following little snapshots of productivity here and there though...

What I'm cooking, baking and eating (besides the usual) ~ 

I didn't do a lot of cooking or baking this week. Of the few things I did make, these are those:

crockpot chicken and noodles. I love a good (practically) dump and go crockpot recipe for those days when my energy, or enthusiasm for fussing over a meal, is low. This is one of those dishes, and I had everything on hand except the egg noodles. I substituted pasta "twirls" instead and it came out just fine. It was tasty and one of those comforting types of meals, like a hug in a bowl, lol.

I, again this week  made another "power food meal" that feeds us several meals worth of food. I love "template" style recipes that allow me to use and combine what we have on hand to made a delicious,  nutritious dish. This time, I made it into an "Italiano" style, with ground turkey, black olives, cauliflower, green beans, mixed veggies, canned diced tomatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomato paste, garlic cloves, garlic powder (we like our garlic!), Italian herbs, oregano, fennel, parsley and salt & pepper. I like to keep the grain, which in this case was rice, on the side so that the amount of carbs can be controlled by whoever is eating the meal.

Homekeeping ~

This week's focus was the living room, entryway, and front porch. This area proves challenging to clean and tidy because the area is still in disarray from water damage that originated with the hot water tank in the attic and worked it's way down to the first floor. I do what I can, take a deep breath and try to look the other way 😉 until we can get it repaired.

I cleaned the screens flanking the front door, the front door and the decorative lantern. I didn't need to sweep this time because the lawn fellas always blow the porch clean when they are here. 

I  spot cleaned the entryway rug.

📷: unknown 

"I find it soothing to take something wrinkled and make it smooth. It feels anticipatory. It's what I do before a celebration. And nobody bothers me when I'm ironing."

I ironed a few items that needed it. I know, I know...ughhh, right? But, we can do it! The job will be finished before we know it~👍And once you get started, it can become a relaxing exercise in meditation of sorts (and my Rowenta iron is a great tool to help get the job done *not an ad* I've had it for many years and it has been quite the workhorse). 


We don't have many clothes that need ironing but the linen items we wear to keep cool during the sweltering summer demand no less than naturally cool fabrics. And sometimes that means ironing.

The thing about linen though is, even after ironing, it still looks like it needs ironing! 😂

What I'm watching/reading ~

This week, I started a new (to me) series called Marcella on Netflix. I'm only on episode two of the first season but so far I am really enjoying it! 

About Marcella, Netflix says "An emotionally damaged ex-police detective goes back on the job to investigate a serial killer after her seemingly happy marriage falls apart." 

and~ 

"Despite marriage woes, a tragic loss, memory blackouts and her struggles as a mom, a London detective excels at what she does best: catching killers."

Sounds juicy!

I also ran across this YouTube video  describing how to turn milk, that is on the verge of having to be discarded, into farmers cheese and wanted to share. In these days of rising prices, I think we can all use any help we can get to make our dollars-and food- go further. I always love a good "waste not, want not" tip and I look forward to finding out what he does with the whey! (my usual use for whey is to add to soaking beans, but there are many other great uses for whey. I would love to hear your favoriteuses for whey!)

Pamper ~


Have you taken time for yourself this week? I did...and as you can see from the picture, the process wasn't pretty, lol, but it felt great! The fast pace of life these days can overwhelm our spirits if we don't slow down sometimes and show ourselves some kindness. Treat yourself like someone you love! Inexpensive (or free!) things we can all choose from to pamper ourselves:
📚 get lost in a favorite book
🛁 soak in a bubble-or just a nice warm-bath. (bonus~light candles!)
☀️ sit out in the sunshine for a bit
🫖☕️🍫 take a tea/coffee break and maybe nibble some chocolate
🌹💐 buy a pretty bouquet or pick one from your yard...even if it is just greenery
🦶💅 diy mani/pedi or just soak your tootsies in a basin of warm water (optional: add Epsom salts/acv/a drop of a delightfully scented body wash or bubble bath) 

💨 take a few deep breaths

And so many more ideas are out there! Feel free to add your favorite(s) in the comment section! 

Treat yourself like royalty ~~👑

Highlight ~

my pov from under a shady tree♡
This view from underneath a shady tree. It's the simple things for me sometimes!

Well...that's about it for me this week. I hope you had an enjoyable and productive week! But before I go...please join me this week at a FREE online event, The Traditional Skills Summit, given by School of Traditional Skills (get your ticket here). We will learn more about subjects such as sourdough bread, the Back to Eden gardening method, traditional bone broth and much, much more taught by the experts themselves! I can't wait to "see you" there!

As always, I thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog. Until next time...

💋xo,

TJ 

No comments: