Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Free Plants

I love "free". Even close to free. Cheap works for me too.
I was out back one day and got to admiring my "free" plants and thought I'd share a few of them with you...

This, I believe, is a curly willow that I took from a bouquet hubby had given me, dipped the bottom of the stalk in rooting hormone and then into potting soil.
This ficus was just a little sprout not very long ago that I took from it's big mama (like me!) plant, dipped in rooting hormone, and placed into potting soil. Poor thing lived in a pot the size of a thimble and through much neglect while rooting. I finally had mercy on it and put it in a proper pot. And look how it rewards me. I am ashamed. = (
And see the little spider plant peekeing out from behind Ficus? I had it's mama sitting near this spot and it sent out a baby who promptly rooted in the dirt in the crack. I guess I should dig it out and give it a nice little home to wiggle it's toes in. My plants have to be survivors to make it around here. It's sorta like a boot camp.

I have other "free" plants around here (african violets, ivies, lots and lots of spider plants, etc.) and am experimenting with another branch that I confiscated from a recent bouquet. It isn't looking too good, but we'll see...it doesn't hurt to try.

What have I eaten lately? Don't ask. Really. You don't want to know. I will just say, I've been a bad, bad girl. (No, that's not a twinkle in my eye (; )

Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

1 comment:

Nola said...

That's my favorite way to gain new plants! I love the challenge of rooting them and then watching them grow! I can never turn down a free plant, either!