Friday, February 16, 2018

Five Frugal Things ~ February 16, 2018

seasonal fruit abundance 
It's been a good while since I've posted a Five Frugal Things.  Not because I'm not being frugal.  On the contrary!  I have actually tweaked, and tightened up, my frugal ways (because there's always room for improvement, right?)!  In all honesty,  I had started to feel like my frugal practices posts had become a tad redundant.  I started thinking though, that maybe it just felt that way to me.  After all, it's easy to lose perspective on a situation when you are in the thick of it.  So, without further ado, here is this week's edition of (drumroll please 😉) Five Frugal Things...

•  I made a simple nectar to fill my hummingbird feeder with in hopes of attracting the first influx of migrating hummers.  One of my garden goals this year is to be more inviting to the birds, bees and beneficial insects.

•  I've been sowing many, many vegetable, herb and flower seeds over the past few weeks.  I exercised extreme restraint in that I concentrated on sowing seeds that I had on hand before purchasing more (new and wonderful, can you hear the angels singing? albeit experimental, varieties) More importantly, I've been concentrating on continuously amending our sandy/clay-y (clay-y = not a word...I don't think) soil.

•  found a no knead French bread recipe that I plan on trying soon.  Since our dough bowl on our Ninja  began malfunctioning a few months ago, and since I refuse to knead dough, we've been subsisting on (gasp!) store bought bread.  And it just. Ain't. The. Same.  So my mission has been to find a delicious no knead version.  I will keep you posted. Speaking of, the Sourdough bread I was experimenting with was a bomb.  It was too sour for our liking, so I have shelved the experiment for now, since I hated all the wasted bread that was happening.  (Any sourdough experts out there that can give me a no fail recipe or tips?

•  had a Mumzy/Mumzy Jr. (Mommy/Daughter ~ yeah, we're eccentric like that) date at our local "dollar" theater on their fifty cent Tuesday.  Can't beat $1 for two movie ticket deal!

•  started keeping a bunch of bananas on hand for a grab and go snack to have on hand for when I'm out and about.  I know this isn't unusual for many, but for years I have kept protein bars ($$$) on hand for this purpose.  45 cents a pound (bananas) vs $5+ a box (protein bars)

How are your frugal adventures going?  I'd love to hear!

Thanks for stopping by! ~ TJ

*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments: