Friday, June 1, 2018

Five Frugal Things ~ June 1, 2018

so excited that these have finally bloomed!
Wow, I'm having a hard time believing that it's June already!  I hope you had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend!  We did!  It was relaxing.  We enjoyed a simple, and rare, dinner of hot dogs with baked beans and I puttered around in the garden and house. *my happy place*
very long lasting as a cut flower~I couldn't wait to bring a few inside...ohhh, and the fragrance! subtle but delightful!

Since it's been a while that I've posted a Five Frugal Things post, I thought I would do just that to usher in the weekend!  So, without further ado, I present to you, Five Frugal Things I did this past week:

•  we had several days with some decent rain showers, which allowed me to not have to water the garden every day, but all that rain brings out the mosquitoes en masse. Soooo, I whipped up my favorite DIY mosquito repellant and sprayed the yard, front and back and all around the doors and windows.  I only make 1/3 of the recipe at a time, which is normally plenty, with a bit left over after spraying down our entire (city lot sized) property.  I do have another batch in the making to have at the ready for the next time I need to spray.  Typically, one full recipe lasts the entire season.  I really don't know how much this saves us since we have never had to call out an exterminator for mosquitoes. In the past, I have always bought citronella candles and used repellents, (which I don't have to spend money on anymore either) swatted and suffered.  Or just stayed inside during the worst parts of the day.  Now, we get to enjoy our yard!

•  I made another batch of DIY laundry stain remover.

•  We're still being mindful of turning off all lights when we leave rooms, and keeping the front and back doors closed when we go in and out for short periods of time, so we don't air condition the outdoors.

•  We upped our thermostat by one degree.  We have to run our air conditioner continuously throughout the summer and so far, no one seems to be able to tell the difference in comfort level.

•  I took advantage of the coupons I received for free items at Randall's before their Monopoly game ended.  We were able to choose a couple of donuts from the bakery, three packets of gravy mix, and a bottle of 100 count aspirin.

And in keeping with my new tradition of sharing my favorite bloggers, I couldn't resist in mentioning a lady I have followed since the mid 90's when her "blogging" was done in the form of books, lol!  I believe she is one of a couple of people that I can credit for making me fall in love with gardening way back then (Martha Stewart being the other), and still inspires me today! Rosalind Creasy grows luscious, decadent, beautiful, edible gardens and I am now, and have always been, helplessly, hopelessly and completely in love with her aesthetic! *gush*

If you have never seen her gardens, I encourage you to rush over to her website and d̶r̶o̶o̶l̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶  see what you've been missing.  I would love to know know what you think!

And here is one of my favorite videos/interviews of her! Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by! ~ TJ






No comments: