Sunday, July 10, 2022

Surprise in the Front Yard

 


Today as I was out watering the garden to give my plants a fighting chance in our 102°(F) heat,  and while on a quickie (I wanted to get back inside!) weed patrol, I noticed a handsome "weed" whose form stood out against the grass in the lawn. I plucked it from the dirt before thinking my action through, and musing that it looked unusually fern-like, decided I would check it out on the PlantNet app just to be sure before tossing it in the weed pile. Sure enough, my suspicions were correct~it was a little asparagus fern! 

Excitedly, I carefully planted it with it's (thankfully) still intact roots, in a pot with new soil and a healthy drink of water. I am looking forward to nurturing this new plant baby while pondering how it came to be planted in our front yard. In the future, I will also be keeping an eye out in the spot where I found it, on the off chance that there might still be tubers left behind in the soil from my careless yanking of the plant, in the hopes they might send up new ferns. 

I'm always amazed at the treasures my own suburban yard offers up, due in part I'm sure, to the help of the birds, squirrels and other assorted wildlife passing through whilst carrying little treasures of their own. Thank you little ones! You are welcome here anytime. 

What are some unexpected discoveries you have found in your yard? I would love to hear about them!

Thanks for stopping by~YOU are welcome here anytime 😊


No comments: