Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Recipe Favorites - Puppy Pumpkin Stew

My dear fellow blogger Rachel was kind enough to send me her recipe for Puppy Pumpkin Stew for my sweet little Dollface. Who knew that Bobo, our finicky cat who only has ever preferred cat food and the water poured off the canned tuna, would put a roller derby worthy elbow move on Dollface to get at the Pumpkin Stew? Poor Dollface. But now I put it in both of their bowls. Thanks Rachel! I hope you don't mind me sharing (along with my tweaks that follow)...


Puppy Pumpkin Stew


1 basic can of pumpkin


1 can of chicken broth


1 lg. can of chicken pieces


1 finely diced carrot


1 cup of frozen peas


1 Tbsp. olive oil


Directions: In a saucepot, saute the carrots in olive oil until they are softened. Add broth and pumpkin, stirring to combine. Add chicken. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the frozen peas and cook for one more minute.


Measure 1/2 up serving sizes and pour into greased muffin tins. (she uses silicon muffin tins). Freeze the stew and pop the portions out, storing them in a ziploc bag. Pull our a serving as needed and microwave until thawed. Serve warm not hot(!) with a regularly used kibble. (Her recipe is based on the Proportions stew component)


*My Tweaks: 1)I took some already cooked turkey we had on hand, ground it quickly in my Ninja (love that thing!) in place of the chicken. 2)I didn't think I had any peas on hand so I omitted them. (Only to find out later, after bravely cleaning out my freezer, that there were, indeed some hiding in there!) 3)I added about 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice that I had on hand. 4)I put the stew in ice cube trays to freeze (which I've done with a lot of things I freeze since my "homemade baby food making days".)


Hope your "babies" enjoy as much as mine do!

No comments: