Friday, March 16, 2018

Five Frugal Things ~ March 16, 2018

This past week, to flex my frugal muscles, I:

•  snipped some mint from the garden to add to tea, drinking water and just to nibble on (healthier than breath mints!).  I also snipped some parsley to add to dressings, my dog's food and also to nibble on, among other culinary uses.  Speaking of tea, I also took the little bits of tea at the bottom of my cups that I couldn't finish, and added/combined them in a canning jar and stuck it in the fridge for my later, iced tea drinking pleasure. (I mix whatever flavors I happened to be drinking to do this and have rarely had a "concoction" that I didn't care for.)
I wish I knew what this plant was.  It came with the house and has never disappointed with its showy display of snow white flowers!
UPDATE! Miss Jeannie told me this is a spirea, thanks Jeannie, I appreciate it!

•  cut and brought in some flowering branches to cheer up my housebound hubby.  (And me, I love fresh flowers!)

•  FINALLY baked the no knead French bread!  It's a keeper, and so much easier than the recipe I used to make when my dough bowl was intact (rip dough bowl😭).  I will still play around with the recipe until I get it juuuussst right for us. (I will take a picture after I have gotten it more to our liking.)

•  hung to air out my gently worn clothes after one wearing.  When the weather isn't too hot or humid, I find I am able to get more than one wear out of some garments.  I just hang them inside out so I know they have been worn.  It saves wear and tear on the garment and lightens my (laundry) load, saving water, detergent and energy (mine and utilities).

•  bought, blanched and froze 17 1/2 (*+) pounds of asparagus that I stocked up on when Kroger put them on sale for .88 lb.  Asparagus is one of my very favorite veggies and I have not seen it at this price in recent memory.
* the + is for the few stalks, here and there, that I may, or may not have, *wink* eaten as I was processing them.  I used the blanching and ice bath water (after it had come to room temp) to water plants.

I hope my frugal five encourages you, as others have encouraged me!

Speaking of encouragers, here is a favorite blog that, if you don't already follow, I thought you might enjoy.  I have been reading Miss Rhonda Jean's earthy, well rounded blog, off and on for years! >>> { Down to Earth }  Why don't you run on over there & say "howdy!"?
photo credit:  Down to Earth blog

I hope you love it as much as I do!  I'd love know what you think!

Thanks for stopping by! ~TJ





4 comments:

Angela said...

The flowers you picked look beautiful. I just love the way flowers can brighten up the whole room!

TJ @ TJ's Sweet Home said...

Thank you Angela! I, too, love the way you can head outside and clip branches and flowers to brighten up our homes for free!

Jeannie said...

I guess the plant is a spirea. If I am right, do I win an all-expense paid cruise around the world? Or maybe a new car as a prize. I am really flexible. If not, I suppose I will settle for bragging rights.

Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry

TJ @ TJ's Sweet Home said...

Jeannie, I looked it up and I do believe you are right! Thank you! I wish I could offer you that cruise, I'd go with you, lol! But bragging rights, definitely, I am going to update this post and give you credit for "name that plant"!~TJ