Friday, April 6, 2018

Focus: The Here and Now

sweet, honey scented blossoms right outside our front door
When I first thought of writing this, we were still experiencing what, for us, is winter weather.  It was very rainy and cold for days on end.  But I was getting the itch to get to gardenin'!  I knew, sooner than later though, I would be aggravated by our tropical, swamplike weather and not want to go outside at all.  To garden or anything else.  So, I did what I could do with the cards I had been dealt.  I looked up winter sowing and set about sowing seeds on the darkest, wettest, chilliest of days.  And I loved every minute of it!  I was able to satisfy my itch to garden, and I believe it will help me feel better on the days, deep in the summer swelter, when I have begun my hot weather hibernation, to think, "I should be out there gardening, but NO."  We'll see.  This is the first year I'm trying this.      

What does all this yappin' have to do with this post?  Well, focusing on the here and now was last on the list of things I wanted to zero in on for the foreseeable future. However, in practice, it soon became number one in my mind.  Each time I started to feel a little grouchy about...well, anything, from weather to housework, my thoughts tended to automatically adjust.  I soon was able to correct my "stinkin' thinkin'" by reminding myself that, "this too shall pass" and to focus on the here and now, and savor the good bits of the present moment.  Because there is always something good somewhere if we will look hard enough.  I know some would argue that, especially when it comes to health challenges and other hardships in life.  But, I, like everyone, have experienced those things, and still have been able to find something good to focus on.  It may be miniscule, but hey, it's something.  And in my experience, sometimes those teeny tiny things are the only thing that may see us through to the other side.

But since I don't want to get all heavy on you here, I'll just talk about the things that have been relevant to me on this journey recently.
I can't resist pausing to savor the aroma of these tiny gems

As mentioned above, I was looking and longing for, an imagined future on those winter days.  And if I will be honest, have lived my whole life like that.  "I can't wait until...", etc., etc.  Always mentally rushing to the next thing.  An unguaranteed future moment, hour, day.  Missing the here and now.

I don't want to live like that anymore, missing out on my life.  So, I am retraining myself to focus on the sights, sounds and smells of now.  The gift of now.

And my "now" focus has been to spend as much time doing all the outdoor things that I will refuse to do once the heat has set in, only coming inside to do indoor tasks and activities when the weather is beyond my comfort zone.  The shift is happening.  I find myself doing shorter stints outside already.
intoxicating!

The ebb and flow of life.  Letting the tide carry me has been so much more enjoyable than fighting it.  (Living near the ocean, I was always taught that if you get caught in a rip current, to just let it carry you, don't fight it.  It will eventually let you loose.  But if you fight it, it could kill you. I don't want the rip current of life to do me in!)

I'd love to hear what your "work in progress" might be (even if it's different than mine)!  How do you focus on the here and now and not get caught up in rushing through your days?

As always...

Thanks for stopping by! ~TJ

2 comments:

lynn said...

I love this post, TJ! I sometimes forget to savor what's right in front of me. I try to remember to thank the good Lord often for my husband, my parents, my extended family, knowing that none of us is guaranteed to be here tomorrow. And I also try to be thankful every single day for the health I have -- the ability to walk, to see and hear and smell. I might not have them forever, but I have them today :)

TJ @ TJ's Sweet Home said...

Absolutely Miss Lynn, I completely agree! Gratitude to God for everything in my/our lives is something I practice daily. Unfortunately, it doesn't always prevent me from rushing through my days and, at times, being a little grumbly, lol. #workinprogress
I appreciate you visiting, you're welcome anytime!~TJ