Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Moist Devil's Food Cake

With a few simple ingredients I already had on hand, I created a yummy dessert.
I found some sour cream on sale for half price last week, bought some cake mixes that were on sale at an unheard of price, and had a smidgen of frosting in a can leftover. What to do? What to do?

Well, I just pulled some buttermilk out of the freezer, (I pour it into ice cube trays before it expires and freeze it. The consistency isn't the same when it thaws but for baking, it does the job and I don't notice any adverse effects.) let it thaw & when I had enough to equal the amount of liquid called for on the cake mix box, I went to work. This is what I came up with...

Moist Devil's Food Cake

1 box of devil's food cake mix

1 cup of sour cream

buttermilk to replace the water/liquid called for on the cake mix box

1-2 tsp. vanilla extract

canned frosting; a little will do...maybe 1/4 - 1/3 cup???

Preheat your oven to the temperature called for on the cake mix box and prepare the pan according to the directions as well. Mix the cake batter according to the instructions on the cake mix box, substituting an equal amount of buttermilk for the liquid called for on the box. Add vanilla extract and sour cream. Bake and cool the cake according to the instructions given on the box.

Melt a little of the canned frosting either for a few seconds in the microwave or just until runny in a saucepan (we had funfetti ;) ). Drizzle the icing over the cake and enjoy!!!


1 comment:

Nola said...

That cake looks delish! I had no idea you could freeze buttermilk; what a great, frugal idea.
Have a blessed Easter!