Tuesday, March 9, 2010

TJ's EASY Fig-gy Spice Cake

I've been trying to come up with creative ways to use up the things I have on hand in the pantry and in my freezer rather than going out and buying new items. I like to buy in bulk when the staples I normally use are on sale, but at times I forget to actually USE those items, forgoing them for something easier and quicker to prepare. It's not always easy for me, but when I do manage to come up with something yummy to make with the things I've stored away, well...I feel sooo accomplished!

When we acquired our home, we inherited the former owners pear and fig trees. Last summer, after sharing some figs with the beautiful birds in our area, I put away a good amount in the freezer. Today I actually put some of them to delicious use by adding them to a boxed spice cake I had on the pantry shelf and some buttermilk I had frozen.

TJ's EASY Fig-gy Spice Cake
You will need:
1 box spice cake mix
1/3 c. butter
1 1/3 c. buttermilk
3 eggs
13 oz. fresh figs, chopped roughly
walnuts (optional)
cinnamon sugar
Preheat oven to the temperature on the cake mix box. Spray a baking pan (I used a bundt pan) with cooking spray and coat the pan with a mixture of cinnamon & sugar (you can buy it premade in the spice aisle of your grocery store but I like to live dangerously and make my own). Put the cake mix into a medium sized mixing bowl and add the next three ingredients. Mix ingredients with a whisk then add your figs (and walnuts if you are adding them). stir them in gently until well combined. Pour all the batter into your baking pan and place in the oven. Check the back of the cake mix box and see how long you should cook your cake for the pan you have chosen. You will know the cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean No ooey gooey stuff on it ;)
Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto plate or just cut it up in the pan. Enjoy!
The ingredients
I always crack my eggs into a small bowl before adding them to my recipes to be sure no shell has worked it's way in
Mix by hand with a whisk.
Don't even pull out an electric mixer, this is supposed to be easy, remember?

Figs ready for chopping on my sweet piggy chopping board that my mama gave me years ago.
Chopped & ready to go.
I mixed the figs in with the whisk too. One less dish to wash is always a good thing.
Batter poured in the prepared pan, ready to go into the nice warm oven.
YUM









No comments: