Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th! And Green Onions too!

Happy 4th! 'Round these parts, that means the beaches will be packed with families, couples, lone sun worshippers and fishermen trying to catch a fish or two. Firework displays will begin around 9pm. And in between, the smell of grilling and barbecue will fill the air.

I'm not sure if we will venture out into the heat this year as hubby had to be taken to the emergency room last Thursday suffering from a TIA. He's been resting a lot since then. I will be happy to spend the day with him and the kids (if they are around) and flitting from one project to the next. I know there's some figs that need picking and pears that need plucking. I might just pull out my countertop grill, throw some burgers, hot dogs and sausage links on there & call it good!

Here's a little experiment I tried and am surprised at the results:
 
The last time I had a bunch of green onions (from the grocery store) I was cutting up, I decided to save the lower 1/2 to 1 inch of the whites that had a fair amount of roots growing and stuck them in my strawberry pot, watered them daily & soon, they began sprouting more green onions! These will come in handy as I snip off what I need for meals until my green onion seeds do their thing. 
 
Have a safe, sparkly Fourth!~TJ

1 comment:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I hope your husband is doing better!

I've seen the green onion shoots kept in water that regrow.