Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Five Frugal Things for the Week of 10/5 - 10/11/14

I had started doing "Five Frugal Things" a long while back but I'm beginning to think I have a touch of ADD & it somehow got dropped along the way. In honor of my renewed desire to be better with da money that is entrusted to me, I thought I'd fire that baby back up! So without further ado...this past weeks (drumroll please, heheh)...

Five Frugal Things
 
 
1)  I went back to making my homemade laundry detergent. There's so many recipes for this around but I use an easy to remember 1 bar Ivory soap grated; 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing powder & 1 cup baking soda. Dump & stir, shake...whatever you gotta do to mix that stuff up. Then I use 1-2 tablespoons of it in my front loader, depending on how dirty our laundry is. I remove that little detergent cup thingy in the drawer so as not to clog it up with the powdered laundry detergent. I have also continued to use white vinegar for fabric softening but will occasionally use liquid Downy on the items that don't need to be absorbent (apparently towels & whatnot don't absorb as well when you use fabric softener on them).
 
2)  I continue to plant seeds in hopes of having more veggies  & herbs to help cut down on the grocery bill.


3)  I bought two dog toys marked down 50%. I always check the markdown & clearance areas in the stores I frequent. You just never know what you will find and when I find products I use anyway...SCORE!!!

4)  I've been keeping a large bowl in the kitchen sink to catch runoff water from washing our hands, rinsing veggies, etc. I use this water to water my plants. I've been surprised to realize that this is enough water to water ALL of my plants each day. The outdoor container plants usually need to be watered everyday so this is saving on our water bill!

5)  And speaking of water, I have been making a concerted effort to turn water off during times it might normally be running down the drain unused. For instance, when showering, after wetting my hair & body, I turn the water off, soap and shampoo up before turning the water back on to rinse off. Or while brushing my teeth, I turn the water off while brushing and then turn it back on again to rinse. 

These are all little things but they add up! And as I always say to my eye rolling family (usually while picking a penny up on the sidewalk), if you have enough pennies you can be a millionaire! Well, it's true.

Have a great day!~TJ 

No comments: