Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Simple Living, Extraordinary Life ~ The Dailies 11/6/17

hundred year old oak
I discovered a Youtube channel today called Great Depression Cooking (link is to the first video I watched. I'm not affiliated with it in any way.).  It was hosted by a cute lady in her nineties named Clara and filmed by her grandson Christopher.  She shares recipes that her family ate during the depression of the early 1900's here in America, stories from that time of their lives and bits of wisdom that life has taught her.  One of her statements that stuck with me (this is not a direct quote) was how life is so much better for our population at large than it was in those days but people are still "squawking"/complaining/griping about their lot in life.  So true.

After spending the day watching her short videos when I had a moment to spare, I found myself taking mental trips down memory lane.  Back to the days of my childhood spent with my great-grandmother, grandmother and mother.  And then the days of my own young motherhood, of which many were spent as a single mom.  And how we all cooked and served our own versions of depression fare.

It also got me to thinking how quickly, if we don't record the minutiae of our lives, it can be forgotten and lost in the next generation's own struggle of building their families and lives.  And how knowing those little things can birth a new and great appreciation for your own lot in life.  Since I have never been the best journaler, but have developed a new hunger to know my own family's history, I have vowed to become better at recording "the dailies" of my life, on the chance that someday my own offspring begin to wonder "what was it like when...?".  

So here we go (this should be about as much fun as watching paint dry for most of y'all, lol!)...

Today's tidbits:

In addition to getting to know Clara ^^^ (RIP Clara), today I had some errands to run that could include our miniature dachshund, Dollface (named by my daughter).  Bank and veterinarian's office to pick up Galahad's (our cat, who was named by the shelter we adopted him from).  (Since my children are grown, I find I apparently need to continue nurturing, so the pets are my new "babies" that I tend to humanize, much to my family's eye rolling dismay😂).

On the way to the bank, I stopped at a local park that I love so Dollface could get a bit of exercise.


Other than that, we followed our usual routine: breakfast (homemade apple cinnamon raisin oatmeal), lunch (leftovers), dinner (leftovers), a snack of DIY microwave popcorn in the evening, and all the little tasks in between.

I hope you took time to savor those little moments in each day that all add up to your extraordinary life!

Thanks for stopping by! ~ TJ 








3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Do keep writing Tommie Joe! Just as you stumbled over Clara's wisdom, others will stumble over yours. You never know who might be reading your words and receiving encouragement. Few people ever comment.
Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry

Tommie Jo said...

Thank you for the encouragement Miss Jeannie! I am trying to get better at commenting on others blogs and social media posts myself! ~ TJ

Jeannie said...

Your comment came through on my follow-up email and I could not remember what I had said. I don't always listen to myself when I talk, so I had to return to reread everything. Just as good the second time.

Jeannie, again