Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017

For those who celebrate it, I hope you had a Thanksgiving that was everything you wanted it to be!

We had a low key celebration this year.  Hubby is unable to stand in the kitchen for long elaborate cooking sessions any longer and I don't have the desire to do all that we used to either.  So we agreed to pare down the menu to just absolute favorites.  Even still, we had a lot of food to prepare!

The cooking and preps began the day before Thanksgiving.  I baked/heated the frozen (no shame here!  After cooking everything from scratch for years, I'm over it.  I'm tired, I  tell ya!) pumpkin and pecan pies.  I baked the pumpkin crunch bars and put the frozen cream pies (Edward's brand turtle, strawberry and key lime) in the fridge to thaw.  That took care of the copious amounts of desserts.  I prepped the stuffing and cheese dip.  Even taking all these shortcuts, I was in the kitchen for a good while.

On the big day, I put the ham in the crock pot and made it according to the recipe hubby discovered on Facebook.  Easy.  Our daughter made the candied sweet potatoes like her daddy always made them (we sure miss his cooking, and I know he misses not being able to cook his specialties, but she did a great job on them) while I roasted the brussels sprouts and made gravy.

It was all very laid back and relaxing with no time pressures.  We loved it!

I would love to hear how you spent your day and all about your family's favorite dishes!

Thanks for stopping by! ~TJ

PS~ If you've read this far and we're scratching your head wondering where the turkey was, well...we have burnt out on turkey.  None if us love it so we just don't have it.  But ham, now that's a different story...😊


No comments: