Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bzzzzz....

That's the sound I've been making lately. I've been a busy little bee trying to work on and complete the crafting projects I have in the works. A couple of them can be seen on the sidebar under my Etsy shop (the top two-afghan & pom-pom scarf). And with Thaqnksgiving and Chrismas coming up, we've had to stop & take some time to plan menus and gift giving.

It's finally chilly here...45 degrees! I love it!
This past weekend, Ari & I took a little trip to Galveston to visit my sister. Over a month after hurricane Ike ravaged the tiny island, it is still a mess in many places. As we drove into the island, we saw things like this (keep in mind many of these were taken by Ari while I was driving)...
On the side of the causeway


We could see straight through this house...







One place we had to check out was the apartment complex we lived in (on the water) when my daughter was born, looked like this (our apartment was the top right)...

One of the piers pushed up against land... Walking through the neighborhood to get to the apartment complex was eerie, like walking through a ghost town (we parked a few blocks away because of all the debris still on the roads). and very sad. I had lived in Galveston most of my life and had never seen it like this before. Ari
kept asking me if I was crying, no I think I was in shock but it was very sad. She kept saying she felt like she was in the movie I Am Legend.

Moving on, after our visit, we drove down the seawall a bit but it was beginning to get dark...

The Flagship Hotel...


The driveway to gain access to the hotel collapsed (I know it's hard to see) the connecting structure in the distance is a walkway that is still there...



Murdochs Bathhouse, a souvenir shop that Ari and I spent beautiful afternoons looking around, pretending we were tourists and rocking on the deck overlooking the ocean and enjoying the breeze...gone...











Part of Murdochs used to rest on these pilings above. Now completely gone.
A sad, sad day for us mixed with the joy of visiting family in their home that survived the storm.

No comments: