Monday, October 20, 2008

Mama's Country Kitchen

Oatcakes & Bacon

I love weekends! I enjoy the opportunity they bring to be with my family and do the things that are routine and bring comfort to us. Our weekends are usually pretty much the same: Saturday mornings I usually make breakfast, do a little cleaning, and then Ari and I go shopping or to the movies. Saturday evening we call "date night" which is just a set time when we will for sure spend some time together, usually watching a favorite tv program. Sundays are reserved for church, breakfast out and, if we didn't get to a movie on Saturday, we may go on Sunday. (we don't go to a movie every weekend!) Sometimes we get together with other family members on Sunday for a meal or just a visit. Simple pleasures!

This past Saturday I made Oatcakes rather that my usual pancakes. Seems the family likes the Oatcakes better and happily for me, they are healthier! They will become a regular feature on the "Mama's Country Kitchen" (what we call it when I cook-lol!) menu. I don't remember where I got this recipe but it sure is good...

Oatcakes
2 c. rolled oats
2 c. milk
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
a few gratings of nutmeg
3 lg. eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
The evening before: combine oats, milk, brown sugar, salt & spices. Cover & place in the fridge overnight.
The next morning: Beat eggs well & add vanilla. Melt the butter. Sift flour & baking powder. Add to oatmeal mixture along with melted butter & the beaten eggs. Mix well. Cook on griddle.




No comments: