Friday, October 10, 2008

Peanut Butter Cookies


A couple of days ago, I made peanut butter cookies which are one of my favorite cookies. I've made this recipe many, many times and they always turn out yummy! It's from an old Southern Living cookbook that I've had forever.
Crisp Peanut Butter Cookies
1 c. margarine (I use butter)
1 c. peanut butter, creamy or chunky
1 c. sugar
1 c. (firmly packed) brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp. salt
Mix the margarine, peanut butter and sugars in a bowl until blended, then beat in the eggs and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt together and stir into sugar mixture until well blended. Chill, if needed. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet and flatten with floured bottom of glass or with floured fork, making crosswise pattern (I use granulated sugar instead of flour and have used both the fork and the bottom of a glass). Bake in 350 degree oven for 12 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Place 2 cookies together, using additional peanut butter as filling, to make cookie sandwiches (I haven't tried that yet). Follow recipe for Crisp Peanut Butter Cookies to make jelly thumb print cookies, pressing small indentation into each ball of dough with thumb instead of flattening (I think I'll try that next time!). Remove from baking sheet while warm and press again with thumb. Cool and fill each indentation with jelly or jam. Makes 6 dozen single cookies.
I enjoyed with a glass of rice milk (trying to cut down on the dairy). Mmm-mmm



No comments: